Join Our Team
Educate and Empower.
Employment with Carpe Diem
Carpe Diem Education hires people who are dedicated to inspiring growth and transformation! Our admin and field staff are responsible for implementing our mission with students across every level of our programs– it is an environment that is both challenging and rewarding. We are driven to provide the highest level of responsiveness and support for our students and families. A trip of this magnitude can be challenging on a number of fronts, we help facilitate this process from start to finish by hiring the most passionate, committed, professional and supportive staff out there.
Carpe Diem Education considers all applicants holistically and is committed to the goal of building a culturally diverse staff. We strongly encourage applications from minorities.
For three months, you are asked to be a mentor and role model, to be a leader and to teach leadership, to push your students’ comfort zones while supporting them through challenges and confronting your own. We look for staff who are committed to growth for both their students and themselves, who can help support our students as they navigate a new culture for the first time – often confronting unexpected realities both internally and externally. If you feel you have the right balance of soft skills, travel savvy, cultural understanding, mentorship and passion we would love for you to apply to this position.
Overseas Educator (OE)
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis and interviews are conducted throughout the year for Overseas Educators.
Spring 2017: Programs run from mid-February to early May. Staff training starts in early February.
Fall 2017: Programs run from mid-September to early Dec. Staff training starts in early September.
We offer competitive salaries with increases by $500 each semester, employer-matched 401k retirement plans, access to professional development funds, and living/travel stipends between fall and spring semesters. Other benefits include travel insurance for the duration of semester, all eligible accrued air miles, all standard trip costs covered, standard expenses paid during our leadership training and travel stipends to and from Portland, Oregon. Oh, and the ability to both directly and indirectly change another human being’s life for the better!
Check out the Rogue Manual for a first-person telling of what it’s like being an Overseas Educator. Please do not call, email, or reach out via “Contact Us” with general employment inquiries, if you are serious about applying for this position please read through all of the information provided on this page and we look forward to receiving your application!
**We are currently seeking a male Overseas Educator with experience in East Africa for our spring semester**
- Central America (Guatemala, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Roatan)
- South America (Ecuador, Peru)
- Cuba (Yup, Cuba)
- India (Northern Plains and Himalayas)
- East Africa (Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda)
- Indigenous Americas (Navajo, Hopi, Zuni, Apache nations)
- South Pacific (Fiji, New Zealand, Australia)
- Southeast Asia (Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam)
- Proficiency in Spanish for our Latin America semesters
- While KiSwahili, Hindi, and Thai proficiency are not required for our East Africa, India, or Southeast Asia semesters, priority is given to applicants with those language skills.
- Direct experience living, working or independently traveling in the regions for which you apply (priority is given to applicants who have experience in 2 or more of the regions where we work)
- Professional experience leading or facilitating groups (preferably with students age 17 – 22)
- Experience successfully working with a co-leader
- Current certifications in Wilderness First Responder or Wilderness First Aid (WFR strongly preferred) and CPR prior to departure
- Valid Drivers License for our South Pacific and I AM semesters
- Able to work legally in the U.S. Meaning you are either a US citizen or possess a working Visa or Green Card.
- Typical age of our Overseas Educators is 27 – 32. We rarely hire staff younger than 25, as we are looking for candidates with significant professional experience working with youth and/or working overseas.
- A strong desire to positively affect another human being's life
- Enjoys the challenge of working with young first time travelers
- Experience working with teens and young adults
- Actively engaged in own personal growth and development
- Flexible and able to perform well under constantly changing environments
- Strong mentorship skills
- Effective organization skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Able to establish clear guidelines and boundaries to assist others
- Strong conflict resolution and problem solving skills
- Enjoys being a resource for other people
- Willing to be available to students during travel times 24 hours a day 7 days a week
About The Application Process:
When your application is received it will first be reviewed by our hiring committee. Upon completion of their review, you'll either be invited to a 30-minute Skype or phone interview, or encouraged to reapply with more experience. After the initial interview you may be invited for a second, final interview.
Interviews will be conducted in person (or via Skype) and generally take anywhere from 1.5 to 2 hours. We ask our OEs to safeguard students' lives, hence we prefer in person interviews, but are open to video Skype if it's not logistically possible for you to come to Portland. Second round interviews are conducted on a rolling basis throughout the year. If you are able to come in person we would be happy to conduct the interview whenever it works for you logistically. After your interview, you can expect to hear from us with final notifications by late November for Spring hires, and early May for Fall hires.
Think you have what it takes to support students and families as they embark on a journey of this magnitude? Do you desire to work on a collaborative team of awesome individuals? Are you committed to your own growth and transformation and that of your fellow humans? Are you hard working, dedicated, and passionate about what we do and have the administrative expertise to help us do it even better?
Check back soon …