Join Our Team
Educate and Empower.
Employment with Carpe Diem
Carpe Diem Education hires people who are dedicated to inspiring growth and transformation! Our admin and field staff are responsible for implementing our mission with students across every level of our programs– it is an environment that is both challenging and rewarding. We are driven to provide the highest level of responsiveness and support for our students and families. A trip of this magnitude can be challenging on a number of fronts, we help facilitate this process from start to finish by hiring the most passionate, committed, professional and supportive staff out there.
Carpe Diem Education considers all applicants holistically and is committed to the goal of building a diverse staff. We strongly encourage applications from historically underrepresented groups.
For three months, you are asked to be a mentor and role model, to be a leader and to teach leadership, to push your students’ comfort zones while supporting them through challenges and confronting your own. We look for staff who are committed to growth for both their students and themselves, who can help support our students as they navigate a new culture for the first time – often confronting unexpected realities both internally and externally. If you feel you have the right balance of soft skills, travel savvy, cultural understanding, mentorship and passion we would love for you to apply to this position.
Overseas Educator (OE)
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis and interviews are conducted throughout the year for Overseas Educators.
Spring: Programs run from mid-February to early May. Staff training starts in early February.
Fall: Programs run from mid-September to early Dec. Staff training starts in early September.
Starting salaries for OEs are based on prior experience. We offer competitive salaries which increase each semester led, employer-matched 401k retirement plans, access to professional development funds, and living/travel stipends between fall and spring semesters. Other benefits include travel insurance for the duration of semester, all eligible accrued air miles, all standard trip costs covered, standard expenses paid during our leadership training and travel stipends to and from Portland, Oregon. (And the ability to both directly and indirectly change another human being’s life for the better!)
Check out the Rogue Manual for a first-person telling of what it’s like being an Overseas Educator. Please do not call, email, or reach out via “Contact Us” with general employment inquiries, if you are serious about applying for this position please read through all of the information provided on this page and we look forward to receiving your application!
Seeking Diverse Applicants
We aspire to increase the diversity and inclusivity within our community of staff administration, local contacts, and students through active recruitment and retention efforts. We define diversity broadly to include social categories such as race, ethnicity, gender, sexual identity, socioeconomic status, nationality, physical ability, religious beliefs, age, and experience. As a result, we are actively looking for and are recruiting diverse candidates for our OE positions. If you are a candidate from a diverse background, please apply. Even if you do not yet qualify to lead for us, we will try to support you to find ways to gain that experience.
- Morocco & Spain
- Central America (Guatemala, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Roatan)
- South America (Ecuador, Peru)
- Cuba (Yup, Cuba)
- India (Northern Plains and Himalayas)
- East Africa (Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda)
- South Pacific (Fiji, New Zealand, Australia)
- Southeast Asia (Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam)
- Able to work legally in the U.S.; meaning you are either a U.S. citizen or possess a working Visa or Green Card
(Carpe Diem can not hire individuals who are not eligible to work in the U.S., nor are we able to assist in obtaining work visas at this time)
- Proficiency in Spanish for our Latin America semesters
- While KiSwahili, Hindi, and Thai proficiency are not required for our East Africa, India, or Southeast Asia semesters, priority is given to applicants with those language skills
- Direct experience living, working or independently traveling in the regions for which you apply (priority is given to applicants who have experience in 2 or more of the regions where we work)
- Professional experience leading or facilitating groups (preferably with students age 17 – 22)
- Experience successfully working with a co-leader
- Current Wilderness First Responder (WFR) certification or complete the course pre-departure. (Not sure how you’d pay for a WFR? Check out our WFR certification scholarship program.)
- Valid Drivers License for our South Pacific semester
- Typical age of our Overseas Educators is 27 – 32. We rarely hire staff younger than 25, as we are looking for candidates with significant professional experience working with youth and/or working overseas
- A strong desire to positively affect another human being’s life
- Enjoys the challenge of working with young first time travelers
- Experience working with teens and young adults
- Actively engaged in own personal growth and development
- Flexible and able to perform well under constantly changing environments
- Inclusivity and diversity consciousness
- Strong mentorship skills
- Effective organization skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Able to establish clear guidelines and boundaries to assist others
- Strong conflict resolution and problem solving skills
- Enjoys being a resource for other people
- Experience practicing intercultural communication and culturally sensitive travel
- Willing to be available to students during travel times 24 hours a day 7 days a week
About The Application Process
When your application is received it will first be reviewed by our hiring committee. Upon completion of their review, you’ll either be invited to a 30-minute Skype or phone interview, or encouraged to reapply with more experience. After the initial interview you may be invited for a second, final interview.
Interviews will be conducted in person (or via Skype) and generally take anywhere from 1.5 to 2 hours. We ask our OEs to safeguard students’ lives, hence we prefer in person interviews, but are open to video Skype if it’s not logistically possible for you to come to Portland. Second round interviews are conducted on a rolling basis throughout the year. If you are able to come in person we would be happy to conduct the interview whenever it works for you logistically. After your interview, you can expect to hear from us with final notifications by late November for Spring hires, and early May for Fall hires.
In general, the earlier you apply, the better. We generally prioritize returning leaders over new applicants and will often have few open positions for Spring programs. For Fall, ideally you will have submitted your application by mid-March. For Spring, by mid-September.
WFR Scholarship Program
The Wilderness First Responder Scholarship is intended to support Overseas Educators (OEs) from diverse backgrounds in obtaining a WFR certification. This scholarship is a part of our broader efforts to diversify staff. Click here for more information.
Think you have what it takes to support students and families as they embark on a journey of this magnitude? Do you desire to work on a collaborative team of awesome individuals? Are you committed to your own growth and transformation and that of your fellow humans? Are you hard working, dedicated, and passionate about what we do and have the administrative expertise to help us do it even better?
Director of Marketing
The Director of Marketing will be responsible for executing all marketing priorities in alignment with Carpe Diem’s vision, mission, and goals. The Director of Marketing will spearhead innovative approaches to further Carpe Diem’s reputation and position in the gap year industry. They will be responsible for setting and monitoring strategic goals, tracking digital marketing targets, revamping Carpe Diem’s website presence and messaging, managing all marketing-related outbound communications, collateral curation and creation, industry engagement, and partner contracts. The Director of Marketing reports to the Executive Director.
Priority % of Time Core Functions/Duties: 1. 40% Strategy and Planning
- Create and implement annual Marketing Plan in line with organizational priorities and enrollment targets
- Build and manage a scalable content marketing engine that balances growth, brand, community engagement, and customer experience across all digital channels
- Aggregate bi-annual Google analytics/recruitment data to remain nimble and define long-term marketing benchmarks and goals
- Develop new strategies and initiatives to further Carpe Diem’s reputation and position in the industry
- Assess emerging digital and print advertising and promotional opportunities
- Facilitate bi-weekly Marketing Team meetings; meet regularly with Executive Director to assess progress
- Participate in weekly staff and monthly Leadership Team meetings
- Develop annual marketing budget and monitor monthly financial reports
- Supervise contract and/or part-time staff to conduct strategic marketing initiatives
2. 40% Communications and Contracts
- Execute promotional copywriting across paid advertising, email campaigns, and other digital marketing efforts
- Manage and develop SEO-optimized content for website
- Publish content for Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram channels and monitor performance
- Liaise regularly with partners to ensure consistent and frequent online messaging in line with our mission and goals
- Collaborate with Director of Enrollment on content curation for quarterly newsletters
- Responsible for creating collateral materials and maintaining stock; may interface with digital media/graphic design professionals for special projects
- Support Enrollment and Outreach staff with follow-up on student leads and online inquiries, as needed
3. 20% Alumni and Community Engagement
- Incentivize alumni engagement through video and photo contests, social media and online review campaigns
- Strategize new methods of alumni engagement
- Organize local and regional community events in collaboration with Program Directors
- Participate in CDE’s emerging diversity and inclusion initiatives
- Promote CDE’s participation at key forums and conferences
- Minimum three years professional marketing and project management experience
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in Marketing, Communications, English, or a related field
- Background in gap year, cultural exchange and/or travel industries
- Proficiency in Google Analytics and digital marketing strategy
- Managing Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram social media channels
- Defining and executing consistent brand messaging across advertising/digital campaigns
- Proficiency in web content development and blog management
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Passionate about the mission, vision and ethos of the organization
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Well developed interpersonal and collaborative working skills
- Patience, flexibility and the ability to work well in a team setting
- Familiarity with Apple products / operating systems, CRM systems, Google applications and Constant Contact
- Proficiency in digital media or graphic design experience preferred
- Proficiency in website management, including WordPress and HTML/CSS, highly preferred
- Experience with Search Engine Optimization (SEO), highly preferred
- Significant work will be done on a computer; must be able to work at a computer for up to four hours at a time
- Employee is expected to participate in weekly meetings where personal information may be shared through team-building activities
- Employee must be available to travel (up to 4 weeks per year) domestically to represent the organization at trade shows and fairs
- Employee must be able to lift up to 30 lbs and set up marketing banners and signs
- Salary range of $40k – $43k, depending on experience
- Generous benefits package including:
- health insurance
- matching 401k vested immediately
- significant PTO and remote leave
- flexibility to work from home up to 12 hours per week
- performance-based salary increases
Please submit PDF resume and cover letter, along with three work samples highlighting projects that demonstrate your relevant marketing experience to firstname.lastname@example.org. Submissions are due on December 5, 2018. Interviews will begin the week of December 3, 2018 with an anticipated start date of January 9, 2019.