Join Our Team
Educate and Empower.
Employment with Carpe Diem
Carpe Diem Education hires people who are dedicated to inspiring growth and transformation! Our admin and field staff are responsible for implementing our mission with students across every level of our programs– it is an environment that is both challenging and rewarding. We are driven to provide the highest level of responsiveness and support for our students and families. A trip of this magnitude can be challenging on a number of fronts, we help facilitate this process from start to finish by hiring the most passionate, committed, professional and supportive staff out there.
Carpe Diem Education considers all applicants holistically and is committed to the goal of building a culturally diverse staff. We strongly encourage applications from minorities.
For three months, you are asked to be a mentor and role model, to be a leader and to teach leadership, to push your students’ comfort zones while supporting them through challenges and confronting your own. We look for staff who are committed to growth for both their students and themselves, who can help support our students as they navigate a new culture for the first time – often confronting unexpected realities both internally and externally. If you feel you have the right balance of soft skills, travel savvy, cultural understanding, mentorship and passion we would love for you to apply to this position.
Overseas Educator (OE)
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis and interviews are conducted throughout the year for Overseas Educators.
Spring: Programs run from mid-February to early May. Staff training starts in early February.
Fall: Programs run from mid-September to early Dec. Staff training starts in early September.
We offer competitive salaries with increases by $500 each semester, employer-matched 401k retirement plans, access to professional development funds, and living/travel stipends between fall and spring semesters. Other benefits include travel insurance for the duration of semester, all eligible accrued air miles, all standard trip costs covered, standard expenses paid during our leadership training and travel stipends to and from Portland, Oregon. Oh, and the ability to both directly and indirectly change another human being’s life for the better!
Check out the Rogue Manual for a first-person telling of what it’s like being an Overseas Educator. Please do not call, email, or reach out via “Contact Us” with general employment inquiries, if you are serious about applying for this position please read through all of the information provided on this page and we look forward to receiving your application!
- Central America (Guatemala, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Roatan)
- South America (Ecuador, Peru)
- Cuba (Yup, Cuba)
- India (Northern Plains and Himalayas)
- East Africa (Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda)
- Indigenous Americas (Navajo, Hopi, Zuni, Apache nations)
- South Pacific (Fiji, New Zealand, Australia)
- Southeast Asia (Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam)
- Proficiency in Spanish for our Latin America semesters
- While KiSwahili, Hindi, and Thai proficiency are not required for our East Africa, India, or Southeast Asia semesters, priority is given to applicants with those language skills.
- Direct experience living, working or independently traveling in the regions for which you apply (priority is given to applicants who have experience in 2 or more of the regions where we work)
- Professional experience leading or facilitating groups (preferably with students age 17 – 22)
- Experience successfully working with a co-leader
- Current certifications in Wilderness First Responder or Wilderness First Aid (WFR strongly preferred) and CPR prior to departure
- Valid Drivers License for our South Pacific and I AM semesters
- Able to work legally in the U.S. Meaning you are either a US citizen or possess a working Visa or Green Card.
- Typical age of our Overseas Educators is 27 – 32. We rarely hire staff younger than 25, as we are looking for candidates with significant professional experience working with youth and/or working overseas.
- A strong desire to positively affect another human being's life
- Enjoys the challenge of working with young first time travelers
- Experience working with teens and young adults
- Actively engaged in own personal growth and development
- Flexible and able to perform well under constantly changing environments
- Strong mentorship skills
- Effective organization skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Able to establish clear guidelines and boundaries to assist others
- Strong conflict resolution and problem solving skills
- Enjoys being a resource for other people
- Willing to be available to students during travel times 24 hours a day 7 days a week
About The Application Process:
When your application is received it will first be reviewed by our hiring committee. Upon completion of their review, you'll either be invited to a 30-minute Skype or phone interview, or encouraged to reapply with more experience. After the initial interview you may be invited for a second, final interview.
Interviews will be conducted in person (or via Skype) and generally take anywhere from 1.5 to 2 hours. We ask our OEs to safeguard students' lives, hence we prefer in person interviews, but are open to video Skype if it's not logistically possible for you to come to Portland. Second round interviews are conducted on a rolling basis throughout the year. If you are able to come in person we would be happy to conduct the interview whenever it works for you logistically. After your interview, you can expect to hear from us with final notifications by late November for Spring hires, and early May for Fall hires.
Think you have what it takes to support students and families as they embark on a journey of this magnitude? Do you desire to work on a collaborative team of awesome individuals? Are you committed to your own growth and transformation and that of your fellow humans? Are you hard working, dedicated, and passionate about what we do and have the administrative expertise to help us do it even better?
Director of Marketing and Outreach
The Director of Marketing and Outreach (DMO) will be responsible for overseeing all marketing endeavors in alignment with Carpe Diem’s vision, mission and goals. The DMO will maintain the organization’s current outreach efforts in addition to establishing new methods of outreach and innovative approaches to further Carpe Diem’s mission and reputation in the industry. The DMO will be responsible for setting and monitoring marketing and outreach goals, tracking enrollment targets, overseeing communications, managing our on-line presence, collateral curation and creation, industry engagement, and partner contracts. Working collaboratively with the Director of Enrollment, the DMO will help streamline our communication with prospective students and families and oversee outbound communication.
Working for Carpe Diem Education is a community experience. We strive to create an atmosphere that is fun, light, and interweaves the personal and professional. In addition to your responsibilities listed here, you will be involved in other community and administrative tasks such as answering phones, staying abreast of international affairs and security concerns, developing administrative structures, supporting our biannual Overseas Educator training (10 – 14 days, including 3 days in the woods!), as well as strategic goal setting. When programs are in session, you will also be required to share in the responsibility of carrying the field Emergency Phone for up to 6 weeks during the year.
Priority % of Time Core Functions/Duties 1 15%
Planning and Reporting
- Create and Implement annual Marketing Plan in line with organizational priorities and enrollment targets
- Develop new strategies and initiatives designed towards furthering Carpe Diems reputation and position in the industry
- Assess emerging advertising and promotional opportunities and manage new projects
- Facilitate bi-weekly Marketing Team meetings; meet regularly with ED to assess progress
- Attend weekly staff and Strategy meetings
- Present monthly marketing reports summarizing enrollment data, benchmarks and goals
- Develop annual marketing budget and monitor monthly financial reports for accountability
Industry Outreach and Engagement
- Innovate and execute creative new methods of outreach targeting key audiences and stakeholders
- Manage and develop content for all Social Media platforms
- Organize and ensure Carpe Diems Attendance at USA Gap Year Fairs
- Coordinate set up, registration and logistics for Gap Year Fair attendance
- Arrange (and conduct on occasion) meetings with families, students, ed consultants and college counselors in Fair locations
- Ensure adequate supplies are sent to every fair (stickers, brochures, banners, etc)
- Conduct in-person meetings and presentations with regional universities, high schools, PTA’s counselors, and other relevant groups
- Promote CDE’s participation at key forums and conferences
Communications and Contracts
- Develop effective systems and conduct timely follow-up on all student leads and online inquiries in conjunction with Director of Enrollment
- Liaise regularly with partners to ensure consistent and frequent online messaging in line with our mission and goals
- Collaborate with Director of Enrollment on content curation for newsletters, website, brochure and finalize all outbound copy
- Responsible for curating and creating collateral materials and maintaining stock; may interface with digital media/graphic design professionals for some special projects, though the majority of this will be done in house
Alumni and Community Engagement
- Incentivize alumni engagement through video and photo contests, social media and online review campaigns
- Organize local and regional community events in collaboration with Program Directors
- Strategize new methods of alumni engagement
- Significant work will be done on a computer; must be able to work at a computer for up to 2 hours at a time
- Employee is expected to participate in weekly meetings where personal information may be shared through team
- Employee must be available to travel (up to 6 weeks per year) domestically to represent the organization at trade
shows and fairs
- Employee must be able to lift up to 30 lbs and set up marketing banners and signs
- Employee must adhere and agree to “HQ Agreements”
- Minimum 3 years professional marketing experience
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in a related field
- Background in travel, cultural exchange and/or experiential education
- Proficiency in Adobe creative suite
- Proficiency in digital media or graphic design experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Passionate about the mission, vision and ethos of the organization
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Well developed interpersonal and collaborative working skills
- Patience, flexibility and the ability to work well in a team setting
- Familiarity with Apple products / operating systems, Filemaker, Microsoft Excel, Google.Drive and Basecamp, preferred
- Salary range of $38k – $43k
- Generous benefits package including:
- matching 401k vested immediately
- generous PTO
- health insurance and dental coverage
- flexibility to work from home up to 12 hours per week
- performance based salary increases and year end bonus
Please submit PDF resume, cover letter, and 3 – 4 work samples highlighting past projects representative of your marketing work and experience to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications will be reviewed starting on June 26th.
Carpe Diem Education will provide equal employment opportunity to all persons regardless of race, gender, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, age or any characteristic protected under local, state, and federal laws. We believe strongly in the benefit of a diverse team environment and encourage individuals of diverse backgrounds to apply.